In this post we show you How to Use Custom App Icons (like these) on Your iPhone and iPad or any other other iOS device for that matter. With this quick workaround you can get a really different feel to your iPhone, some personality. Let’s say you can make it your own, a customized home screen. So let’s dive in!
How Does it Work?
Since it is at this point not possible to truly “change” app icons this trick is a workaround to achieve a similar result through the Shortcuts app which you can download from the iOS App Store here. You need this app to do the following. It’s also desirable to have at least iOS 14.3 installed. This version makes the workaround much more pleasant. You also need the Apple Files app installed to download the image files to your phone.
Before you begin…
you, of course, need a new icon with which you’d like to replace the original app icon on your home screen. That could be any image file for that matter, in many formats like .png, .jpeg, etc.
But you can also download and buy custom icon packs to replace many different app icons with nicely designed alternatives to suit your taste. I would refer you to these icon packs here. Now let’s see the actual process.
- Firstly open the Shortcuts app on your iOS device.
- Next select the “+” symbol to add a new shortcut. If you don’t see the following page you probably need to tap on “All Shortcuts” first.
- Tap on “Add Action”.
- Tap on “Scripting”.
- Tap on “Open App” on the next screen.
- Select the blue highlighted “Choose” next.
- Now search the app you want to replace.
- Tap on the three dots top right next.
- Next you can add a name for this action and you can add it to the home screen which is what we want.
- On the next screen you want to tap on the default image logo at the bottom.
- On the menu that popped up select either on “Choose Photo” or “Choose File” wich will open the Files app.
- Now you open your image file. In my case an app icon for the App Store app.
- Now you can give that image a name which will be displayed under the app icon on the home screen. You can also leave that blank in which case there will be no text under the icon. That looks quite cool I think. You can create quite minimal home screens with that.
- Lastly you tap on “Add” in the top right corner and you’re done. You should now have a new app icon on your home screen.
Now you need to repeat these steps for every icon you want to have on your home screen. A little time consuming but totally worth it in the end. You can create beautiful home screens this way.